Channing Memorial Church is a caring, open-minded faith community that extends a warm welcome to LGBTQ individuals and families. We promote acceptance, inclusion, understanding, and equity for LGBTQ persons of all ages, abilities, racial and ethnic backgrounds, and genders.
Our parent organization, the Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations (UUA), makes available remarkably comprehensive resources on its website for those who wish to educate themselves on the issues facing those who identify as LGBTQ. It includes a full list of books and videos for adults, teens, and children.
Go to www.uua.org/lgbtq, where hyperlinks will open these resources for you. New books not linked to the above web page:
1. Andrews, Arin. Some Assembly Required: The Not-So-Secret Life of a Transgender Teen. Simon & Schuster, c2014.
2. Herthel, Jennings, Jessica and Jennings, Jazz. I Am Jazz. Dial, c2014.
3. Hill, Katie Rain. Rethinking Normal: A Memoir in Transition. Simon & Schuster, c2014.
4. Hoffman, Sarah and Hoffman, Ian. Jacob’s New Dress. Albert Whitman & Co., c2014.
5. Kuklin, Susan. Beyond Magenta: Transgender Teens Speak Out. Candlewick Press, c2014.
6. Waldron, Candace. My Daughter He: Transitioning with our Transgender Children. Stone Circle Press, 2014.
Many organizations dedicated to LGBTQ equality have websites that offer useful support and information:
Free State Justice (https://freestate-justice.org/)
Faith in America, www.faithinamerica.org
Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network, www.glsen.org
Gender Spectrum, www.genderspectrum.org
Human Rights Campaign, www.hrc.org
Movement Advancement Project, www.lgbtmap.org
National Center for Transgender Equality www.transequality.org
PFLAG National, www.pflag.org
PFLAG Howard County, www.pflagmd.org
Williams Institute, http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu
Institute for Welcoming Resources, http://www.welcomingresources.org/
Towards a Welcoming and Inclusive Church